Create My Photobooks- A Heritage Makers Blog

Your Personal Publishing Consultant

My photo
Heritage Makers is an online digital storybooking company that helps people capture the stories and photos of their lives in a custom digital book that you create yourself online. All of your projects are created in our user friendly publishing system with NO software to install. The process is simple: upload your photos into an online photo album, select your project, and layout your pages in our creative center. So get those photos out of the basement, out of the boxes and off the computer and create something wonderful!

Thursday, April 8, 2010

now is the time for those stories

This story was written by one of our own Heritage Makers Consultants who thought it was time to write her father's story, little did she now just how important this story was going to be. Here is her story:

When I decided to add a new "grandpa" cornerstone to the Heritage Makers line, I naturally turned to my own father's life for inspiration. He was happy to talk about his younger years and on a recent Christmas visit, my dad and I finished the story-filled book.

Listening to Dad's stories was the highlight of my recent trip to England. I was excited to document this priceless slice of family history. And as he recounted tales of his birth, childhood, and courting years, I realized he was filling in a thousand small details I'd never heard before.

My father was pleased with the finished book and arranged to replace the generic note he'd included on the last page with a personal message for each grandchild. Then he'd have me print copies of the finished books for him to give as surprise gifts the following Christmas.

But within weeks of my visit, my father was hospitalized twice, his health in rapid decline.

I suppose if your father is 88 years old, health set-backs are a fact of life, but my dad had always been so independent and strong, I really thought I still had lots of time with him. And while I should have anticipated it, the news of his death came as a huge shock to me.

I'm so grateful to have had an assignment that prompted me to get my father's story written. I am taking the personalized copies of his book to England with me, when I fly back for his funeral. It will be a much bigger surprise than he had anticipated, but what a priceless legacy for him to leave his grandchildren.


You can create a story of your own grandparents in one of our Cornerstone books in our template gallery.

No comments:

Post a Comment